TIPS FOR THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
Many otherwise diligent pet owners don't realize that summer's sun and heat can be just as harmful to dogs as to humans. We know to take care of ourselves outdoors in summer, but our four-legged friends also need extra attention now.
Espree Animal Products, our client and a leading provider of natural and organic pet care products, offers these tips to help protect your pooch during hot weather.
- Dogs, like people, should not be out in the heat of the day without proper shade and adequate water.
- Dogs can get sunburned, especially on the nose, ear tips and any spots with exposed skin. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out in the sun with your dog.
- Trim your dog to be cooler in the summer, but do not expose the skin. Shaving your dog's coat can lead to sunburn and skin cancer.
- Paw pads can be sensitive, so try to avoid hot pavement.
- Bathe dogs after they swim in salt water or a chlorinated pool to avoid drying the skin and coat.